I have spent most of the beginning of this year re-building my two NAS servers …and then re-re-building them because I wasn’t happy with their performance or some other configuration peculiarity. Not a speedy job when each rebuild requires you to move off 6TB of data and then copy it back when you’re ready!
My biggest problem was getting the RAID stipe alignment right: I cunningly used command line-fu to start partitions at various cylinders to try and get it right, but performance figures suggested I’d got it horribly wrong instead. So then I re-did them using the simple GUI tools provided… and everything worked beautifully. On this occasion, then, GUI 1, CLI 0.
But the job is finally done, and I now have a minimalist CentOS 6.3 purring away on both boxes, one being a mirror of the other and with decent read performance, which is the main thing.
I figured it would be useful not to forget some of these painfully-learnt lessons, so I wrote up the installation and configuration process as a new article.
At some point this year, I will start replacing the drives used with new 3TB WD Red drives… At least I’m now confident that things should be plain sailing at that point.